Contradiction in Terms
You say to-may-toe; I say toh-mah-tah. Deal with it.
Thursday, April 22, 2004

Today is TAKE OUR DAUGHTERS & SONS TO WORK DAY. Again, working at home, I do this all the time! Which is why my work is occasionally interrupted by showings of Winnie-the-Pooh...


Some people deserve to die in bed.
So there I was, wishing that the latest episode of Alias had not just ended (It's never quite enough.), when the emergency alarm on our floor sounded. I quickly opened the door and stuck my head into the corridor to check if it was time to evacuate with husband, daughter, and CPU, but it turned out to be a false alarm. The thing that irked was that one of my neighbors, who'd also done the foolish headfirst safety check, complained, "Ang ingay naman ng alarm." (The alarm is so loud.)


I'm sorry, but this strikes me as a criminally stupid thing to say. What, should the alarm be subdued and subtle so we can all fry in our beds if there's a fire or something? Rested but roasted, talk about your screwed-up priorities. Honestly, there are days when I could make a case for the eradication of the entire human race. Leave the planet for some specie with more brains, like the orangutans.


in the news today
A Nigerian landlord claims not to remember biting off his tenant's nose during a brawl at the landlord's house. Businessman Chukwu Christian said he only defended himself against the 24-year-old tenant's physical attacks. "People begged him to stop the fight, but he refused," Chukwu relates. "I didn't bite him; he wounded me. I don't know how he managed to get his own injury."


Not the kind of thing you forget, one would think.


TRIVIA QUIZ
Who was the first fictional detective?


answer to yesterday's question
A typical lightning bolt is two to four inches wide and two miles long. How anyone actually measures this, I really don't know, but I do know that lightning occurs when areas of positively-charged energy come close to areas of negatively-charged energy. This happens often during thunderstorms, when electrical discharges pass from negatively-charged cloud bottoms to the positively charged ground below.


I have no idea if Marc got this right, because I'm too lazy to convert from metric to English. But Alex made me laugh, the fool.
Nikki bit in at 12:29 AM :: ::
                give                
Double-click a word on this page to learn what it means.
                surf                 email

blogs

groups

Philippine Sites
LinksPhilippines

new

caveats


creative commons

Contrary to what the disclaimer says, you can ask me to design or revamp your blog, but there is a small associated fee.

This site is prettiest if you set your monitor resolution to 1024 by 768... but I won't hold it against you if you don't. Honest.

cred






illustration by El

Nikki Alfar is really not as sexy as El's illustration would have you believe... but she doesn't mind if you think of her that way.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines

class act/guttersnipe. tomboy/girly-girl. serious writer/comics hack. wife & mom/tart & tease. obssessive-compulsive/laid-back. sweetheart/bitch. all that.

shelf life

books, beauty, buzz

weather nixie

numbers

Who Links Here

etc.