Contradiction in Terms
You say to-may-toe; I say toh-mah-tah. Deal with it.
Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Today is WORLD METEOROLOGICAL DAY. But I'm betting Ernie Baron already knows that.


with pain comes pleasure
Ordinarily, I would take umbrage at being referred to as "Nikita the Chiquitita" (as Jason did in a recent email), but right now I'm too exhausted. I had my first class at Gold's Gym and nearly killed myself learning street dance. It was fun, though, despite my serious doubts that anyone actually dances like that on any street anywhere. Now I know how to do 'the grapevine', which is not a massive achievement, but considering that my previous idea of exercise was (a) getting up to change the CD or (b) purely horizontal in nature, it's a milestone.


in the news today
A Romanian man named Adrian Ionut Craciunoiu lodged an official complaint with the consumer protection office in Gorj, accusing a local prostitute of not doing her best. Although prostitution is illegal in Romania, Craciunoiu filed his case anyway, saying that: "She... even scratched me because she (was missing) some of her teeth. I was honest with her and paid in advance, but what did I get? Bad service and even lesions."


Maybe she was trying to pronounce his name...


TRIVIA QUIZ
What's the scariest thing you never really wanted to know about black pepper?


answer to yesterday's question
I posted this one because people have asked me to clarify, and it's hard to explain briefly. But here goes: In the Second Age of Middle-Earth, Elendil ruled from the northern realm of Arnor as High King of both Arnor and Gondor. His sons, Isildur and Anarion, co-ruled jointly; but with the death of all three of them during and just after the war against Sauron, Menedil, Anarion's son, became king of Gondor, while Valandil, Isildur's son, became king of Arnor. Although the next ten or so rulers of Arnor continued to style themselves 'High King', the two kingdoms were in fact run quite separately.


In the Third Age, Artheduin, one of the three kingdoms that comprised Arnor, was conquered by Angmar (whose Witch-King eventually came to lead the Nazgul). Although the allied forces of Gondor and Arnor managed to defeat Angmar at last, the northern kingdom fell into decline, notwithstanding the continuation of the royal line, which eventually managed to produce Aragorn II, that scruffy guy we all know and love. Aragorn didn't come into the picture until the Fourth Age, by which time Menedil's heirs had died off, thereby allowing Aragorn to claim the throne by right of heritage and one honkin' big army.


Curunirs (meaning 'cunning' or 'crafty ones'): Ron, Alex, Gabby, and Amie. Curunir Trouser-Wearers: Ron, Vin, and Angela. I'm tired of trying to remember y'all's links, so I ain't doin' that no more.
Nikki bit in at 10:43 PM :: ::
                give                
Double-click a word on this page to learn what it means.
                surf                 email

blogs

groups

Philippine Sites
LinksPhilippines

new

caveats


creative commons

Contrary to what the disclaimer says, you can ask me to design or revamp your blog, but there is a small associated fee.

This site is prettiest if you set your monitor resolution to 1024 by 768... but I won't hold it against you if you don't. Honest.

cred






illustration by El

Nikki Alfar is really not as sexy as El's illustration would have you believe... but she doesn't mind if you think of her that way.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines

class act/guttersnipe. tomboy/girly-girl. serious writer/comics hack. wife & mom/tart & tease. obssessive-compulsive/laid-back. sweetheart/bitch. all that.

shelf life

books, beauty, buzz

weather nixie

numbers

Who Links Here

etc.