Contradiction in Terms
You say to-may-toe; I say toh-mah-tah. Deal with it.
Sunday, February 08, 2004

Yesterday, believe it or not, was 'WAVE ALL YOUR FINGERS AT YOUR NEIGHBOR DAY'. Yup, such a thing actually exists, winning my vote for 'Dumbest Holiday Ever'.


vox populi
One of the nice things about being a cab-taker instead of a car owner is that, when you need to go to someplace you've never heard of in the wilds of Kamuning, you don't actually need to figure out how to get there. You just have to keep hailing cabs until you find a driver who knows what the hell you're talking about.


Yesterday, I had to go and do a voice recording in Kamuning, and was fortunately able to find a cabbie who seemed confident of his route. So, leaving the navigating to him, I concentrated instead on warming up my vocal chords, since I've been suffering a mild cough and cold. I started singing along with the radio... and before I knew it, my friendly cabbie started belting away as well! Soon we had turned into a virtual karaoke cab, and I scarcely noticed how long it took to weave through the non-color-coded Saturday traffic.


In Kamuning, we did have to ask around to find the specific street. I kept asking handy tricycle drivers and sari-sari store habituees where 'K1 street' was, and they kept insisting that I should check out 'Capers'. Despite my song-buoyed spirits, this was really starting to get on my nerves, especially since many of the streets in the area seemed to lack street signs. Finally, we decided to check out the damned 'Capers' road-- only to find out that the street I was looking for was in fact named 'K-first'. Argh! The perils of miscommunication...


in the news today
A 25-year-old American man named Charles McKinley attempted to cut his travel costs by shipping himself in a 42-inch cargo crate from New Jersey to Texas last September. Planning to free himself en route and wander around the cargo area, McKinley was instead trapped and nearly suffocated for the duration of the flight, and was recently sentenced to one year of probation for his crime.


POP CULTURE POLL
Just thought it might be interesting to take a little break from our usual trivia to let our voices be heard on the following Uber-Important Issue: The Golden Schmoes Awards have posted their nominations for the Best Tits and Ass in movies this year. Nominees include Kate Beckinsale (Underworld), Monica Bellucci (The Matrix sequels), Jessica Biel (Texas Chainsaw Massacre), Keira Knightley (Pirates of the Caribbean), and Kristanna Loken (Terminator 3). So tell me: who would you vote for?
Nikki bit in at 3:29 PM :: ::
                give                
Double-click a word on this page to learn what it means.
                surf                 email

blogs

groups

Philippine Sites
LinksPhilippines

new

caveats


creative commons

Contrary to what the disclaimer says, you can ask me to design or revamp your blog, but there is a small associated fee.

This site is prettiest if you set your monitor resolution to 1024 by 768... but I won't hold it against you if you don't. Honest.

cred






illustration by El

Nikki Alfar is really not as sexy as El's illustration would have you believe... but she doesn't mind if you think of her that way.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines

class act/guttersnipe. tomboy/girly-girl. serious writer/comics hack. wife & mom/tart & tease. obssessive-compulsive/laid-back. sweetheart/bitch. all that.

shelf life

books, beauty, buzz

weather nixie

numbers

Who Links Here

etc.