Contradiction in Terms
You say to-may-toe; I say toh-mah-tah. Deal with it.
Thursday, June 17, 2004

Today is ROOT BEER Day.

When is Coca Cola Day?


in sickness and in health
I'm finally over my damned cold-- still sniffling and sneezing, but the reality-warping dopiness that always accompanies my head colds is finally done with. June has simply not been a good month for me health-wise: first there was that razor-blade-in-the-cornea eye infection; then this sinus thing, which made me suspect that someone had stealthily removed all my inner organs and replaced them with cotton wool.


I blamed Dean, of course. This may seem quite unreasonable, but you must understand that my husband tends to laugh at me when I'm sick, which makes me suspect that he actually makes me sick on purpose, just to amuse himself. Oh, he's solicitous and all that-- offers me medicine, fetches me tea, the works. But he also chortles with glee when my eyes are puffed up with allergic reaction, makes fun of my voice when my scratchy throat makes me sound like Jessica Rabbit, and deliberately asks me complicated philosophical questions when he knows that 'oxygen = good' is about the maximum my cold-addled brain can handle.


Truly, he is a cruel, cruel man. So is it any surprise that when I wake up in the morning with a disgusting taste in my mouth, I immediately suspect that it's because he force-fed me dirty socks during the night?


He, of course, blames Sage.


Grammar and Punctuation: numbers
As a matter of style, numbers from zero to ten are usually spelled out, while numbers from 11 upwards are written in numerical form.


E.g.
Sage is a two-year-old girl.
Marco is a 31-year-old man.


There are, of course, many exceptions to this, such as when noting time, date, chapter & verse, and the like, which should all be done in numerical form, regardless of number value. Numbers used in dialogue should generally be spelled out, unless they are so large as to be unwieldy in written form.
Nikki bit in at 9:46 PM :: ::
                give                
Double-click a word on this page to learn what it means.
                surf                 email

blogs

groups

Philippine Sites
LinksPhilippines

new

caveats


creative commons

Contrary to what the disclaimer says, you can ask me to design or revamp your blog, but there is a small associated fee.

This site is prettiest if you set your monitor resolution to 1024 by 768... but I won't hold it against you if you don't. Honest.

cred






illustration by El

Nikki Alfar is really not as sexy as El's illustration would have you believe... but she doesn't mind if you think of her that way.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines

class act/guttersnipe. tomboy/girly-girl. serious writer/comics hack. wife & mom/tart & tease. obssessive-compulsive/laid-back. sweetheart/bitch. all that.

shelf life

books, beauty, buzz

weather nixie

numbers

Who Links Here

etc.