Contradiction in Terms
You say to-may-toe; I say toh-mah-tah. Deal with it.
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Today is LET IT GO Day.

I have no idea what 'it' is supposed to be, though.


bibliophilia: In the Forests of Serre by Patricia McKillip
Patricia McKillip has been called "one of fantasy's most underrated writers", a sentiment I have to agree with since I would willingly buy anything she writes (which I can't even say of my favorite literary writer, Salman Rushdie) and have so far loved every book of hers I've managed to get my hands on (which I can't say about my favorite fantasy writer, Guy Gavriel Kay). McKillip writes gorgeous, lyrical prose, working classic folk- and fairy tale tropes into richly atmospheric reimaginings, with finely-drawn, complex characters. In the Forests of Serre is the best I've read so far, a lush, exquisite rendering of the Russian 'firebird' folktale in fantasy dress.


I read somewhere that you know you're a writer if you find yourself reading everything with either burning envy or grinding contempt. In the Forests of Serre fits neatly into the 'envy' category-- the kind of work that forces you to stop every few pages or so, take a breath, and try your best to get over that feeling of "Damn. I wish I'd said that."


TRIVIA QUIZ
What is the biggest building in the world?


answer to yesterday's question
I just wanted to see how many of you were going to say 'cheetah'. There were five (counting Pauline's 'cheetos') out of eleven total responses, but you did know that the cheetah is only the fastest land animal, with a speed of 70 miles an hour. It is faster than the sailfish-- which outswims the marine competition at 68 miles an hour-- but not as fast as the peregrine falcon, which zips past everyone at 100 to 200 miles per hour.


Speedy smarties: Alex, Ariel, and Charles. And I know I said I wasn't going to reward jokes anymore, but Marco, Pauline, and Dean were just too silly to ignore... I think you guys only missed this quiz because it gives you an excuse to be corny!
Nikki bit in at 5:22 PM :: ::
                give                
Double-click a word on this page to learn what it means.
                surf                 email

blogs

groups

Philippine Sites
LinksPhilippines

new

caveats


creative commons

Contrary to what the disclaimer says, you can ask me to design or revamp your blog, but there is a small associated fee.

This site is prettiest if you set your monitor resolution to 1024 by 768... but I won't hold it against you if you don't. Honest.

cred






illustration by El

Nikki Alfar is really not as sexy as El's illustration would have you believe... but she doesn't mind if you think of her that way.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines

class act/guttersnipe. tomboy/girly-girl. serious writer/comics hack. wife & mom/tart & tease. obssessive-compulsive/laid-back. sweetheart/bitch. all that.

shelf life

books, beauty, buzz

weather nixie

numbers

Who Links Here

etc.