Contradiction in Terms
You say to-may-toe; I say toh-mah-tah. Deal with it.
Thursday, April 14, 2005

Binary Tree Poetry

After hard drive crashes and myriad other technological catastrophes, I've lost a hell of a lot of writing over the past few years. Yesterday, though, Dean managed to unearth some of my old stuff (The earliest of which was written over ten years ago!), which had me alternately cringing and snickering over the musings of my past self.

The good news is, I think I've improved over time, thank God. The bad news is, evidently I used to be this prattling little windbag with delusions of grandeur.

Anyway, the poem below was originally written for Jason, who at the time was engaged in promoting his self-created poetry form, the Binary Tree. This sample is actually not too badly-done, considering the stringency of the form.

At least, it's one of the few of the archival materials that I can actually read without asphyxiating from either amusement or embarrassment. Hot damn, it's good to be 32!
Love Groove
by Nikki Alfar

It's only love--don't hold your breath.
You win sometimes, or someone dies; it's only love.
Don't hold your breath: it's no big revelation.

It's only love--you win sometimes, or someone dies.
Ignore the tears that fill my eyes; it's only love.
You win sometimes, or someone dies: it's just the damn pollution.

Don't hold your breath. It's no big revelation--
one person's truth, another's lies; don't hold your breath.
It's no big revelation: love is no solution.

Ignore the tears that fill my eyes--it's just the damn pollution.
One person's truth; another's lies: love is no solution.
Nikki bit in at 4:03 PM :: ::
                give                
Double-click a word on this page to learn what it means.
                surf                 email

blogs

groups

Philippine Sites
LinksPhilippines

new

caveats


creative commons

Contrary to what the disclaimer says, you can ask me to design or revamp your blog, but there is a small associated fee.

This site is prettiest if you set your monitor resolution to 1024 by 768... but I won't hold it against you if you don't. Honest.

cred






illustration by El

Nikki Alfar is really not as sexy as El's illustration would have you believe... but she doesn't mind if you think of her that way.
My Photo
Name:
Location: Pasig City, Metro Manila, Philippines

class act/guttersnipe. tomboy/girly-girl. serious writer/comics hack. wife & mom/tart & tease. obssessive-compulsive/laid-back. sweetheart/bitch. all that.

shelf life

books, beauty, buzz

weather nixie

numbers

Who Links Here

etc.